28.8.08

Final Destination: Yola

So I finally made it to Yola (a small city on the east side of Nigeria near Cameroon)! I got off the plane and what do I see? A man carry six dead chickens in his hands... Welcome to Yola! It's a very rural setting, but friendly people and beautiful landskape. The roads/paths aren't too bad and the dirt is vibrant red. The university is very nice. All of the buildings are brand new, each is open air with courtyards inside. I live on North Campus which is about a ten minute walk but the main campus area. My room is sufficient... Everyone I've met here is really nice but I'm struggling with names (they're definintely not American names) and because I meet so many people everyday. It's going to take time to get adjusted, but already I'm starting to feel comfortable.

Some more things I've learned:
-Everyone here holds hands, girls with girls and sometimes guys with guys, more to come
girls don't shake guys right hands
-patience is a way of life
-everyone says "are you serious?" after every story in the amazing nigerian accent
-football is played on dirt
-shuttle buses stop for everyone unlike in dc where you will be running and the driver will see you but he'll still drive away
-everything comes with rice or potatos

1 comment:

Ben Bleckley said...

I recognize a lot of similarities between Yola and South Africa. The hand thing is true there as well, and so is the "are you serious." Jennie had to watch the hand thing - in South Africa, at least, if men shook your hand while scratching your palm, they were proposing a very serious relationship.

It sounds very exciting. We are glad to know you are doing well and seeing a lot.