18.9.08

How You De?

How Far!

So yesterday was my one month anniversary of being in Nigeria! It's hard to believe that I'm already one fourth done... Things here have been going really well. I've settled into a routine and I'm getting used to the mountains and heat and people.

Last night was one of the best nights I've had so far. It was one of my really good friend's birthday's and so we threw him a great party/get together. On your birthday here in Nigeria people beat you up (I'm not kidding they hit you) and pour water on you! We ordered a cake, which was like heaven considering people here don't really eat sweets at all. And we just hung out and it was just quality time with an amazing group of people!

Classes are still going well. Some of my politics classes have been a bit of a struggle because mostly what we discuss is colonialism and the long term affects on African society, culture and government. It is just difficult for me to relate to the Nigerian students who have grown up in a country where almost all of the problems can be blamed on the imperial past. I find it interesting to hear them talk, there is so much frustration here. There aren't any easy answers, and each problem seems to go in circles. It is so different than the attitude in the States where we feel like every problem in our society and government can eventually be solved by the right policy. Globalization and capitalism are the two big topics here. Coming from the US, I looked at globalization as a relatively good thing and here it's the complete opposite. The students here have seen how globalization has slighted their economy and impacted their ability to compete on an international scale.

Okay, so here's an unexpected trend. Everyone has just about the same taste. The girls all wear a lot of jewelry and dress very western, but sort of flashy western. And the music is driving me insane!!!!! Seriously everyone here listens to only Nigerian and US R&B, I swear if I hear Chris Brown one more time I might start a fight. I just die because in DC listening to anything mainstream is looked down upon and people there like to be quirky and unique where people just try to meet the status quo.

I'm learning about the levels of 'black'. I have a friend here whose nickname is 'Midnight'... I thought it was so funny because to me he looks the same black as everyone else here, but oh no, was I corrected. There's black, dark brown, brown, chocolate, light, and fair. I find it interesting that there are legitimately that many distinctions in skin color and I can't help but feel like it's again another remnant of colonialism. But, hey my label is pretty easy. White. haha. And for those of you wondering if I'm getting tan, I honestly don't know because I have no one to compare myself with.

For now, that's it... I should have my address later today for those who have been asking (and I'll post it here). I hope that you all are doing well!

2 comments:

awwald said...

Your posts are very interesting! A kind of review on Nigeria, Nigerian students, Nigerian people. Nigerians are "statistically the happiest people" in the world. Cool. From where

sToNe said...

another degree of Black is DARK-BLACK (Wale is a typical example). STONE