5.4.11

Buenos Dias Todos!

So, Im here at an internet place with every intention of filling you in, pardon the bullet point setup but its down to business (although my keyboard is extremely sticky and keys arent exactly where they should be)...

Work: I have 14 schools in Almolonga and Zunil, and as the Healthy Schools Municipal Coordinator (who says Peace Corps doesnt have fancy titles?) Ill be working with the teachers and principals to develop plans that will certify them through the Guatemalan Ministry of Education as Healthy Schools. Right now Im just going to visit them, getting to know the principals, kids and the situations at each school. Most of them dont have water, Almolonga only gets water for a few hours each morning but most people have tanks that fill in that time so they have water all day. The kids are great, some schools are huge but others are really tiny out in villages.

Home: Im living with the most amazing older couple in their 60s, Don Jose and Doña Maria! I rent a room in their house, and cook for myself (did I mention that Almolonga is a vegetarians heaven?). Doña Maria and I ussually chat for a few hours each day, shes been telling me all of her cooking secrets. The house is very comfortable, hot shower, washing machine, stove top! Kind of crazy, right? But dont be fooled, its no palace (dont get me started on my war with the flies)... Im extremely thankful to be with the Xiap family, I havent felt the least bit lonely!

Food: As I already mentioned, Almolonga has a fantastic market! Main market day is Saturday, and a lot of it is bulk (they send the veggies all over Central America). This week I bought beets, radishes, carrots, tomatos, cucumber, spinach, bananas, mangos and daisies (dont you think that they are the friendliest flowers?). Every morning I have my instant coffee and oatmeal with a banana, delish! I have big plans to start making my own tortillas (like Doña Maria) but let me tell you, its no easy task (stay tuned for an update)

So Im trying to get you all caught up on my life here, dont worry, future posts wont be nearly so boring... There are lots of anecdotes to come and hopefully pictures too! Until then...

No comments: