11.5.11

Last year I went to see my doctor because I thought I was bipolar. You see, I was having these incredible instances of extreme highs and lows. She sat patiently as I explained how I was feeling, she asked me questions about my sleep patterns, and after a half an hour we determined that I was in fact, not bipolar. But I remember at the end of the appointment expressing my disappointment because I was hoping for some sort of medication that could make my days smooth, not these ridiculous emotional rollarcoasters. She smiled and said, 'But Sam, life's ups and downs are what make it worth living'.

Today was one of those breakthrough kind of days. A day when you just exhale and can't believe life is so good. Like a kid who ate half a cake covered in giant icing flowers. The emotional high of all emotional highs.

First, I finished visiting my last school! Let the real work begin...

Second, I was busy today. I like being busy.

Third, I had an amazing meeting with two of my school principals. They share the same building (one school in the morning and one in the afternoon) but they've never collaborated on anything before (they don't share squat). So I was able to get them together with representatives from their PTA groups to talk about the healthy schools project. They were so into it, then and there we sat down to type up a petition to the mayor's office for the funds to build a handwashing station that would benefit both groups. That's 600 kids total. And just like that, I felt like in such a small way as a coordinator/community organizer, I made a little difference today.

Forth, more spinach.

Fifth, the rainy season started. I like rain.


Dr. Cobb, you were right.




P.S. Happy Belated Mothers Day (it was yesterday here in Guatemala, May 10)... A special shout out to my beautiful mamacita but also to all the wonderful women in my life who have also supported me through said highs and lows.

P.S.S. Happy Birthday to my awesome nephew Gavin! The poor boy probably hasn't gotten my card yet (the epic line: 'but it's in the mail') and I was stuck in meetings all day unable to call him... Feliz Cumple Chico!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

spinach makes my heart sing!