29.5.11

Well, well, well, what a week!

I've been running around like a headless chicken (which is a bit of a sour simile given the circumstances). Friday was one of my best days here in Guate. I visited my favorite school, the place just has an energy that makes me feel so alive (includes 20 minutes of getting kisses from the kids)! The school had an assembly with an 'acto civico' about trees and I got to launch a recycling program there. Side note: Guatemala has a beautiful national anthem, but it's literally 15 minutes long with like six verses. Each classroom now has a container for inorganic trash and next week we're adding cornflakes boxes for paper. The funny thing was that I thought it'd be good to present it as a competition between classes. Good motivation right? WRONG! At snacktime all the kids were buying tons of potato chip-like things so they could add it to their container. The principal and I just laughed it off but it just goes to show that sometimes even the best intentions can do harm.

Then in the afternoon at a different school I was a judge for a beauty paegent. Yikes. The girls were scored in four areas: athletic outfit, traditional outfit, speech and a dance. Lord help me. Yes, there were tears. Each school has one girl that will represent them in a district wide contest. Next Friday the teachers have a beauty paegent (they tried to talk me into participating reassuring me that I'd be a sure win). In other words, Guatemalans love beauty contests and this American cannot stand them.

Yesterday I did the unthinkable and went to Walmart. Evil place. I honestly felt like I was back in the states. What did this PCV buy? Couscous. And Campbells tomato soup. And an organizer for my folders (oh how I love the school supply aisle). And binder clips. And peanut butter (JIF extra crunchy to be exact). In my defense, all of the grocery stores in Xela are owned by Walmart, so much for my boycott.

Saturdays are my cleaning days. I sweep my floor and you would not believe the quantity of dirt that gets in there. It blows my mind. I also have to dust off my desk, so much dirt. Right now I'm doing my weekly load of laundry; crucial to do it early because the rain comes in the afternoon and the clothes will never dry.

No pictures, the cord to connect my camera was unbelievably expensive so my lovely mother is sending it. Working on grant proposals for infrastructure (sinks) at a few of my schools. It is kind of a bummer because the schools that need it most weren't interested in filling out the application, and I don't feel that I'm here to force them to do it if they don't want to. The organization is called 'Agua para la Salud' and they partner with Rotary Intl and PC here in Guate, it's a great opportunity to get more faucets so the kids have room to wash their hands and brush their teeth. Most schools have only one faucet, just a different mentality with construction here and the limit of resources.

Campaign season has officially started here in Almolonga... Just about every night a political party has a parade with tons of people and lots of fireworks. There are three main parties here and local politics is super important (strange considering I have no idea what mayors really do in the US, but here they control a lot of money for projects).

Well that's my life, random and busy for the moment...

1 comment:

Kate said...

JIF extra crunchy...that's my girl!