10.2.12

sometimes it hits me that i live in guatemala:

-i am now a plumber. well, not really. but i fix toilets. and i know all the lingo. in spanish.

-hairblowdryer? why bother. just jump in the back of a pickup truck

-marriage? easy. the woman who sells me potatos is helping her 18 year-old son pick out my ring (no gracias?)

-no toilet paper? dude, that's what old newspaper is for.

-trash. oh, the battle against the trash.

-fried eggs.

-almolongan coffee- delicious but more like sugar water than coffee. but, it. is. gooooood.

-i bought a traje! yup i did. and it is going to cost me around what i make in a month. totally worth it.

-there is this smell that hits me sometimes in the street, not a foul smell, but not exactly agreeable either. and when i smell it, i know that im home.



and it's all of these things. and all of this still matters.


on a serious note i was thinking this week (shocking right?) about what i want to stand for. my core. my center. because sometimes we spin wildly around and never quite get there.

i want the world to be a better place because i was a part of it.

whatever i do, where ever i go, it has to come back to that.



2 comments:

Jim & Nancy said...

You could have stayed stateside to do that! Then of course, there is still a blond somewhere in that brain!
Will try to call manana.
Tia Uno

Anonymous said...

what's a traje?