14.3.12

This week has been filled with a deep saddness as I and all of PC Guatemala mourns the loss of my boss, Director of the Healthy Schools proyect, Dr. Sergio Mack Rivas.

I had much respect for Dr. Mack in his guidance over my project, he was the mastermind and devoted 14 years to the project. He was one of the few Guatemalans that I found inspiring, one that was dedicated to making his country a better place. Dinamic, professional and an expert in development and public health.

The funeral was last friday in Guate, I went with the other healthy schoolers and PC staff. The services were hard and emotional for us, but demonstrated the impact that Dr. Mack made in this world. There's just this whole, this void, as I think of his beautiful family (three older children and wife) and the hurt they are going through.

I know that you don't know them but if this happens to recross your mind later today please keep the Mack family in your thoughts and prayers...


2 comments:

mari said...

thanks for writing about this. i worked in the healthy schools program from 2002-2004 and it is hard to believe that sergio is no longer with us. the contribution he made to his country and to his people was remarkable. it was a privilege to work for him and benefit from his enthusiasm, dedication, and inspiration.

Jim & Nancy said...

Samantha --
I posted a message on Saturday. Did you get it?