1.5.09

Is this the classiest Blockbuster you've ever seen?

Well, I thought I'd share with you the benefits (or curses) of globalization. Here in Buenos Aires we have Walmart, Starbucks, and of course McDonalds and Burger King. Now, I'm not telling you this because I think that the expansion of private enterprise is evil. Buenos Aires is among the most modern cities in the world, and therefore has become a prime location for American based companies to spread their 'services'.

In general, Buenos Aires is a city full of immigrants (comparable to NYC) that bring with them their different tastes and cultures. Sunday dinner here consists of very authentic Italian food, Sushi is all the rage momentarily, and Chinatown is quite authentic (and by authentic I mean that everything sold there is not-authentic). In 1900, BsAs was 50% straight off the boat immigrants! And thus, when taking role call in my classes I noticed that literally all the names are European... Bamballi, Vinardi, Brown, Edwards... you name it, it's here. So, there you have it. Come to Buenos Aires and you'll feel right at home, no matter where you're coming from!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: