9.5.09


Spanish Word of the the Day: Parrilla (pronounced, par e ja)

and guess what it means? that's right. GRILL

Most of you are aware that Argentina is known for it's amazing red meat. And yes, I can firmly say that, it is indeed amazing. And the funny part is that I'm not a huge advocate of meat-eating, but here in Buenos Aires it's just so good. And what will you find on the parrilla? Asado, which is a really chewy rib (pictured above). When you buy meat here at the supermarket, it's really red (which may sound stupid because it is in fact, red meat) but honestly, it just looks more like real meat than what I'm accustomed to. Also, there isn't ground meat here in the stores. And I love that there is no ground meat (I like knowing that the meat came from one single cow, not a mix of god knows what). I asked my host mom about the Argentine secret to good meat. At first she said it's a national security secret, but after begging she told me that the cows here aren't permitted to walk long distances on the ranches because it makes their muscles too tough. And here we thought free range was a good thing.

Beef: it's what's for dinner (and lunch) (and breakfast) (and afternoon snacks)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: